Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Copper Cow from Kentucky

Yes! I finally found time to travel to Shelbyville, Kentucky and visit the breathtaking Wakefield Scearce Galleries.  It has been literally over a decade since I dragged the good husband down to see this fabulous collection of shops and if I remember correctly most were closed since it was a Sunday. 
I had a truck load of fresh timothy piled high so I parked away from all of the clean, nicely polished cars lined perfectly in the crowded parking lot.  I didn't care that I was dressed in jeans and a horsey jacket not to mention wearing simple loafers covered with a layer of hay dust.  I was so excited to finally be able to visit this gorgeous place once again.  All of the ladies both young and old were dressed very well and several were adorned with obedient and enthusiastic husbands in tow.  I couldn't help but wonder why my husband doesn't get excited while viewing Christmas ornaments displayed on a wall.
Filled with anticipation to visit The Yule Shop,  I had visions of finding unique holiday decorations no where else to be found.  Sigh...It was a cute shop and I did find a tree that caught my eye, but nothing stood out.  A half of a tree mind you planted in a plastic urn with a price tag of a whole tree planted in an iron urn.  I told the lovely ladies at the check out that I would think about it while I paid for my little pony and fox glass ornaments.  If I leave a shop and I am not 'haunted' by the recent find while finishing my other shopping, then it isn't going home with me.  That is my little rule.  We shall see...


I breezed through the silver shop as I wanted to see what areas we missed so many years before.  To once again gaze upon the pastoral oil paintings proudly displayed along the second floor balcony that I couldn't afford was simply awe inspiring.  Wonder if they went down in price?  We are in a recession, one can always be hopeful!  Oh the paintings would be so happy if they found a home on our walls.  Gentle rolling fields, cool green tree lined lanes, woolly sheep, steers, horses, barn yard scenes, chickens, dogs, just perfect for this farm girl.  A rich farm girl that is....darn!!


The interiors of these galleries are simply breathtaking!  Three floors of intimate settings were waiting for me to explore!  Bedrooms, dining rooms, and even a study, completely furnished and decorated as though you were touring an old historic home.  All of these cozy areas are filled with English antiques and accessories. I noticed some rooms offered a themed decor. Oils framed in gold hung on the walls, porcelain lamps softly light the corners, and tasteful floral arrangements could be found everywhere.  Orientals, pillows, mirrors, you name it, they all had little white price tags tempting either the serious or the curious.  I believe the beautiful window treatments were the only items that would remain within galleries.


I saw so many little things I wanted but nothing grabbed me...until I peeked into a brightly lit but sparse room, so unlike the others, that housed rolled rugs with some just thrown here and there. This seemed to be a storage room, but wait!! What is this?   Ah, look how she shines so patiently waiting for me to look at her. Ugh, her price was a bit high for this country girl from West Virginia.  But I wanted her!!! So, off I went to find an attendant to ask if a discount could be had. 
Oh no...I was advised by a nice attractive lady that I had to speak with the general manager or owner, I wasn't sure if I heard the gentleman's title as I could only think of this thin copper cow.  Inwardly chastising myself I thought if only I had dressed better or put on some makeup and or better yet something sweet to cover up the ode d' barn...these silly notions danced around my poor head as I waited for him to magically appear.  Oh yes, of course he looks like that, I thought...perfectly coiffed, with I am sure some cashmere or silk woven in his sportscoat.  OK here goes...I did it!  It wasn't the price I was after but it helped a lot.  He did admit she was up there for some time which was very obvious to me.  She was so out of place! I promised him that she would be fattened up once she stayed awhile in my kitchen.  He probably thought I was crazy!    ;-)  Thank you Mr. Bennett, it was nice of you to help me out.
On my way out I stopped in the W. Cromwell men's clothing shop and found some perfect gifts for the good husband.  I was advised by one of those 'enthusiastic' men I had spotted earlier that the shirt I had chosen was a great choice.  He wears them all the time.  Hmmm, I wonder if this shirt will turn my man into an obedient and enthusiastic husband who likes Christmas shopping for ornaments?  One can only hope!

16 comments:

Marguerite (Tina) Smith Hart said...

I love the copper cow, and the photos are beautiful. I also have to say I am enjoying your blog very much and am glad I found it!
Have a wonderful day!
Tina xo

♥I am Holly♥ said...

How beautiful!! Those pictures of everything are absolutely wonderful!! Thanks for sharing! Lots of love, Holly and mom

Angela said...

Thanks for taking me along with you on your tour! Everything was so beautiful! I love your new copper cow!

Merry Christmas!
Angela

Verde Farm said...

I am so jealous--I would have LOVED this place. What a fun shopping day. The oil paintings are amazing. Your cow is perfect and I am sure it’s already gaining weight in your kitchen. So glad you got him!! We must go back and my thought is the good husband will still stay home :)
Amy

Country Gal said...

All the photos are great, I to would love to shope in a place like that ! great post ! Have a warm and a happy day !

Linda said...

I hope you post a picture of that copper cow hanging in your kitchen--it's FABULOUS!!

Michelle said...

What a gorgeous shop! Oh and that cow! That is one beautiful and shiny copper cow. :) I would love to visit Kentucky one day. *sigh* Hope you're having a wonderful holiday season and staying warm! xoxo :)

Rural Rambler said...

Cool post Kritter Keeper! Love to see you in your jeans, horsey jacket and loafers-bet you looked wonderful! That cow, she got a great home!! A load of fresh timothy, you are a good woman Kritter Keeper!! Give your kitties a scritch for me this Holiday Season :)

Sara said...

Love your blog! I now have a following gadget, did not relize it was not up.

Lori Skoog said...

What a treat, to visit this beautiful shop. Thanks for taking us along. You are my kind of woman, to go in in jeans with a pick up load of timothy waiting outside. I guess they like your money just the same! Happy Holidays! Love the cow.

baystatebrumby said...

I love those paintings. they are not usually something I would seek out in a gallery but now that i really look at them on your blog, I am hooked. Your whole trip lloks like it was really fun, lots of feasts for the eyes!It looks like there was always a million things to see.

Flat Creek Farm said...

Thank you for the tour.. that place is wonderful. And your cow? Gorgeous! And speaking of gorgeous.. your header, and your blog is...
gorgeous!! I love it. Merry Christmas to you and yours. I always think of you when our 'deer friends' come up for a visit to the donkey pen! -Tammy

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Thank you for a lovely tour! I love, love, LOVE your new cow! Can't wait to see where you display him in your kitchen! Have a beautiful Christmas!

Willard said...

I enjoyed reading about your trip, and looking at the beautiful photographs. I also liked the one about Audy and the animals on the Heritage Farm Blog (I am assuming you wrote it--please forgive me if I am wrong.

Also thanks for sharing your experiences with your deer in the comment on my blog. I have had one two year old buck come back and stay, while I have seen another only once. (they left in October) One is a three point and the other a four so that helped them survive hunting season since they are legal only for junior hunters to shoot. My three year old and biggest 2 year old have not come back and I expect never will. I also lost a doe and a fawn on the first Saturday of rifle deer season. My brother and I were warming up in the vehicle when we noticed deer pouring out of the woods from several different spots. We got out and watched but didn't hear anything or see anyone, but I think that this is when the deer were killed--probably just far enough back in the woods that we couldn't get a handle on things. Whatever the case, I never saw them again after that. The missing fawn is the one in the second picture from the top in the post that I made today.

I wish you a Merry Christmas and hope that the rest of your Whitetail Deer friends come back.

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun shopping around. You have a lovely blog, and I enjoyed my visit.

Mary Ann said...

Just found your blog and I love it! Wonderful pictures and stories, and I can't wait to come back for more. Love your dogs and cats... we have many, too... and love them all.