Saturday, March 14, 2009

Grammie's Old Fashioned Gingerbread


I have been so good for the past few days not eating sweets and I even lost a couple of pounds...but, the old nasty rainy day got to me. Perfect excuse for baking! My grandmother, Gertrude, daughter of Great Grammie Fred, was wonderful in the kitchen. I only have a few of her recipes but hope to find more soon. You can see Grammie by scrolling down to the bottom and clicking on Floyd Fuller, Vermont's Legendary Horseman, or by clicking this phrase. Check out Great Grammie while you are at it, I am sure most of Gertrude's recipes come from this neat lady. I am a lucky girl!

Grammie's Old Fashioned Gingerbread

Begin with 'almost' a stick (1/2 cup) of butter... I cut off a tablespoon
1 cup white sugar, blend after each ingredient
Add 2 eggs, then add 1/2 c Brer Rabbit molasses
In sifter: add 2 c pastry flour (I used all purpose), 2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp ginger, 1 tsp cinnamon
Boil 1 cup water
Alternate, adding the sifted dry ingredients then some boiling hot water to the molasses mixture.
This will be a thin batter, pour into greased cake pan... I use a glass 11x7 pan. 350 oven but if using glass decrease to 325 for about 35-40 minutes.



So light, so delicious with whipped cream, and ummm, such old fashioned goodness.

No comments: