Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Old Biddy Trip

I am now an official 'old biddy' at my young age. This insulting title was given to me by the 'bad' husband upon my very generous invitation to join my mother, my sister and me for a nice vacation in Vermont. No thought was put into his answer, no sugary declines escaping from fake smiles, just several firm no's, accompanied with one outright and outrageous insult given to me upon the first invite renaming our vacation to an 'Old Biddy Trip'! Of all things!!!! : )
The bad husband feared he could not endure being surrounded by too much estrogen. He envisioned afternoon teas with little old ladies in big old houses, since there were no known species of his type to hang with and he was almost right. Daddy, Uncle Beanie and Grampie are all gone, but there were no teas! So, I guess it was a good decision in the long run though it was difficult to be without him. He would have been truly lost as there was no working television to fill his news and baseball addictions. I must admit, I really missed my internet!






The 1600+ miles of interstate was bearable though on the way back the tops of my knees became extremely sore as though I had jumped Blue or Jess 100 times. I had clocked 13 hours Monday but gave way and found a hotel with only 160 miles more to go. Self preservation kicked in just in time.
Without boring all of you bloggy buddies with mundane details, the following phrases and words describe some of the highlights and memorable moments we experienced during our memorable trip.

Seeing our loved ones again, sharing time with Mom and my sis, going back in time, quiet solitude, babbling brooks, fresh clean air with cool breezes, an awesome rented farmhouse, petting cows, seeing a baby cow and a baby horse, watching chickens, seeing my first hare (huge compared to rabbits!), an excellent 4th of July parade, excellent antique shops, excellent seafood, Grammie's baked beans, touring my grandparent's farm and meeting the generous owners...seeing 'moose crossing' signs, celebrating a cousin's bday, touring their new log home built by my fine carpenter cousin, seeing some of the old furniture again from my grandparents estate, scanning old family photos, traveling through picture perfect towns filled with federal style homes and cozy country stores, gorgeous flowers, and being blessed with some of the most awe inspiring pastoral views that look like paintings from the 18th century.
By the way, it rained pretty much every day of the trip but we did get to see some of the sun's rays peeking through every now and then. Although the rain was a disappointment we still got to do a lot and I am grateful that our traveling was safe, our health is good, and that the 'bad' husband missed me like crazy!

8 comments:

Kathleen Coy said...

Sounds like a wonderful vacation, and I love love love the photos!!! The horses are gorgeous, and how sweet are those babies? :-)
I'm glad the "bad husband" missed you, lol.

Paint Girl said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip! The scenery is gorgeous! I am glad to hear your husband missed you! It's always nice when they actually miss us, but sometimes I wonder if its because laundry needs done or the carpet needs vacuumed. LOL!

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

Welcome home! We missed you :)

Ali said...

Oh it sounds fabulous! I love the photos, I really miss New England, I lived in Connecticut as a kid. It is SO beautiful with so much history. I am glad you had a safe trip and glad the bad husband missed you ;-)

City girl turned Country Girl said...

Great trip!! Love the pictures, such pretty scenery!! And I love that foal!!! So cute :)

Les said...

Which hen am I?

It was great catching up with you. :)

Leslie said...

Sounds like a great trip. I love the pictures. I have been on a couple of "old Bitty" trips myself and they are soo much fun.

Arlene said...

Oh I love your blog!!! Mother Nature is so great!! Thanks for sharing it!!!
Arlene