Friday, October 2, 2009

Farm Tails Fall Photos

I love this time of year! No more biting bugs, huge horseflies, chewing chiggers and sun damaged skin. Our trees are not scenic though... the leaves turn yellow or brown and scatter themselves all over the lawn. We have a lot of black walnut and locust trees but no brightly colored sugar maples, etc.

The baby fawns have all lost their spots and the deer are sporting charcoal gray winter coats with the exception of Beauty's baby...her fur is a lovely light tan. That is Sunny in the pic, remember her baking in the hot field as a newborn? Two of my three year old bucks have already left which leaves Bossy's Boy, Twin and Bandit. Bossy's Boy is huge and so healthy. I pray they all survive the killing season and stay close to the barn. I wish I could castrate them and keep them as pets! My Nub is gorgeous and has separated from Brownie and Cocoa to hang out with the boys but shows up during corn time which allows him to see his mom and twin sister.

The porch flowers are still in bloom and so pretty. My red geraniums are really a deep dark red but for some reason the camera cannot pick up this color. Jessie's edema on her stomach remains but has shrunk considerably although her udder area is still sensitive and still swollen. I took a chance and mowed the small paddock ready for a yellow jacket attack which did not happen. Was it bees after all? I shake my head in disgust as I would very much like to know what happened to my Jessie.
I rode Blue a bit late in the evening. He did very well considering Twin bounced out of the woods and onto the arena displaying his beautiful white 'flag'. He watched for a bit and then stomped through lots of crackling dry sticks to graze in the corn field. Big Blue reacted with only a crow hop and some head tossing (thank heavens) and due to it getting dark with the temps dropping quickly, I decided to keep it a safe ride and get off. Fall is definitely here at Farm Tails!

15 comments:

JC said...

You do look like you're getting ready for Fall ..

Your cats are cute but I'm sure you already knew that.

Dusty Devoe said...

Love your pictures, especially your deer pets! I will pray for the safety this winter.

Jessica said...

Love these pics! I, too, am embracing fall. Here, we are praying for a dry(ish) fall and winter because we have a threat of a dam problem. That sounds funny...like one of those dam jokes...oh, I could go on and on! ;) Anyway, dry in the Pac NW? Not likely. But we're hoping. I will also be hoping for the safety of your furry friends. We've seen our elk around lately & the dogs are telling me that it's only a matter of time until they're back to grazing our pastures. Happy autumn to you! :)

Leslie said...

Winter, spring, summer or fall, it always looks beautiful on your farm!

Flat Creek Farm said...

Oh my goodness, I feel like I've come "home" :) What wonderful pictures! We too have a farm full of critter 'kids'. No deer, but a few who occasionally visit up close, and I love them. I must follow so I can keep up with your Farm Tails! -Tammy

Paint Girl said...

Your fall decorations are lovely!
Your deer are all looking so good. Hope they all have a good winter. For some reason our deer have been dying, not sure what is going on, all I know is my dog keeps bringing their bones home. I hope we don't have a cougar running around.
Your horses look so cozy in their blankets! It is almost that time around here too.

City girl turned Country Girl said...

OH I love Fall!!! Of course we don't have all of the pretty tree colors here either!! I'm glad you got a good ride in too!!

goatmilker said...

Very nice pictures. Love the deer ones. Rebekah

Wish on a Whisker said...

Love the pretty fall pictures! The kitties are adorable! Happy Fall!!! ~Mandy

Julia said...

It must get cold since you have out the horse blankets. I have not even thought about them yet... Or I am too lazy to put them off and on this early in the year.

Your little buck is cute! Yesterday on the way home there was a one point baby buck running down the side of our road in the day...very unusual. I hope he hopped back into the hills.

lisa said...

That was a very nice post! The pictures were fantastic!

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

Have you ever thought of opening a B&B? As it appears you have the perfect place for it!

So good to have you back :)

Vectormom said...

Your place is gorgeous! I love all the pictures of Fall. We don't really have fall here so seeing it in pictures is great! Thanx!!
tailwindssouth.blogspot.com

Rural Rambler said...

I love this post, it is all about fall. Those kitties, I just want to scoop them up and snuggle snuffle them. I feel bad for those poor horses havin' to deal with the elements-NOT! And purple blankies too! You have a beautiful farm and I love the pictures. Happy Autumn Kritter Keeper!

Ali said...

I just love your place, it is so beautiful! The fall decorations are wonderful, fall is just the best season!!

PS - Did you see my first giveaway post? If not, don't forget to check it out, entries close tonight at midnight! =)